This recipe came about entirely by accident when I wanted to make fish pie one evening. I had 2 salmon fillets in the fridge that needed using up and a couple of smoked mackerel fillets.. but then I realised I didn’t have any large potatoes for mashing and the shops were closed so I had to have a re think and since I did have some new potatoes I decided I’d make the filling into more of a stew and put the potatoes into it. So basically, I made this up as I went along and it turned out pretty good so I’m sharing it on here. Feel free to mix and match the veg, I just used what I had left from the week in my fridge. It’s nice served with some crusty bread for dipping.
olive oil for cooking
salt and pepper to season
2. Put a large pan on a medium heat and add the oil. Fry the carrots, onions, courgettes, peppers, garlic and celery until the vegetables have softened. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside and cover in foil.
5. Place the salmon in the milk and cover. Leave to poach for about 10-15 minutes.
6. When the salmon is cooked, remove from the pan and flake into pieces, removing the skin. Do the same with the mackerel.
9. Stir through the freshly chopped herbs and remove from heat ready to serve.
10. Spoon into bowls and serve with hot crusty bread.